From the Northeast to the Southwest, Vermont always works...

From the Northeast to the Southwest, Vermont always works...

Monday, April 4, 2011

Birthday Batch

This is batch 3, which happens to be on my birthday, so I will call it the Birthday Batch. The sugar content is still high, down from 3.2 to 2.9 on the hydrometer. It is getting somewhat darker but still on the light side. I like the real dark stuff, personally. John is out in the shack today while I remain tethered to the floor and bed with my backache (muscle spasm). Bummer. And to top it off, the winds have picked up to around 20 mph and it is about to rain, no snow, no rain, or both. However, yesterday was a great run and we stored 74 gallons of sap which has to be boiled. He's got books to read and the fire to stoke. We chat over the 2 way radios quite often. I am getting some reading done and other internet searching. I will hobble over and give him a break for lunch and a nap. We should finish around 3-4 pm. Hopefully this next batch will be the same or greater. When the blog  background changes from snow to flowers, you will know that our snow is gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment